There’s nothing more exciting than the spice of Peri Peri chicken for a pub night. If you’re planning a pub night at home and inviting all your friends over, this is the perfect dinner recipe. See how you can make this delicious chicken!
For the Marination
- Vegetable oil- 4 tablespoons
- BBQ sauce- 2 tablespoons
- Worcestershire sauce-3 tablespoons
- Minced garlic-2 tablespoons
- Onion powder-1 tablespoon
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice-2 teaspoons
- Peri Peri sauce-2 teaspoons
- Mustard-1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Cracked black pepper to taste
For the Chicken
- 2 kg whole chicken
- Salt and pepper to season
- Mix all of the ingredients (except for the Peri Peri sauce) together for marinating, until well combined. Add 2 teaspoons of Peri Peri sauce, to spice it up. You can add Peri Peri sauce according to the level of spice you want.
- Using three-fourth of the marination mix, coat the chicken evenly. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
For the oven
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and let it thaw completely to normal temp.
- Preheat the oven to 245 degrees Celsius.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, place the chicken, breast-side down into the pan, and sear for 5-6 minutes, until the skin becomes golden brown.
- Flip and sear on the other side for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 more tablespoons of vegetable oil to the remaining marinade, and pour half of it over the chicken. Use a basting brush to coat evenly.
- Place the chicken in the preheated oven, and cook for 55-60 minutes, or until cooked right through to the center and juices run clear.
- Once the chicken is done, baste with the pan drippings and serve!
For the BBQ
- Place chicken on well-greased grill over medium heat, skin-side down, for 10-12 minutes, until the skin begins to have a nice char on it.
- Add 2 more tablespoons of vegetable oil to the remaining marinade. Flip and baste with a small amount of sauce.
- Close barbecue lid and cook for 40-45 minutes, flipping once or twice while cooking, until chicken is completely cooked through and juices run clear.
Your delicious Peri Peri chicken is now ready and can be enjoyed on the pub night!