Asha Bhosle, the queen of melody turns 84 today and we wish her a very happy birthday. Asha Bhosle popularly known as Asha ji or Asha Tai has ruled Bollywood with her powerful and soulful voice for decades and we would never want to get rid of her honeyed voice. Romance, intimacy, fun or sorrow, Ashaji’s symphonic voice defines all of them in the best way possible. This is the reason why she had remained the No.1 choice of producers during the golden era of Bollywood.
On her 84th birthday, let us try to know a little more about the living legend with these facts
- Ashaji made her singing debut when she was just 10 years old with the song “Chala Chala Nav Bala” in 1943 for a Marathi film Majha Bal.
- Apart from singing, Asha ji also excels in acting. Since childhood, she was too much fond of acting and she finally made her onscreen debut in 2013 with a Marathi film ‘Mai’ where she played the role of a mother.
- In a more than 6-7 decade long career, Asha Bhosle has sung around 12,000 songs in 20 different Indian languages.
- Asha Bhosle is the first Indian singer to be nominated for Grammy.
- She also holds a world record in the Guinness Book of World records as the ‘most recorded singer’.
- In 2000, she was awarded the prestigious Dada Saheb Phalke Award.
- She has also been honored with Padma Vibhushan Award by Indian Government in the year 2008.
- Remember her song Aaja Aaja Main Hu Pyaar Tera from the movie Teesri Manzil? Asha ji, first denied singing this song as she thought she would not be able to sing this song. But later on she agreed and this song became one of the most epic songs in the History of Bollywood.