Sania Mirza is one of the brightest stars in the Indian tennis circuit. She has preceded a host of other sportswomen of Hyderabad who have won laurels for the country. Other famous Hyderabad stars are PV Sindhu and Mithali Raj. They brought laurels to our country several times.
Sania despite marrying Pakistan cricketer Shoaib Malik has remained a star Indian player and fiercely patriotic. She has many times been accused by the ‘nationalists’ sometimes for the length of her skirt while other times for her across the border marriage. Sania Mirza has always dealt with these arrows thrown at her like a boss. Here are 9 quotes by Sania Mirza that would make you respect her and deal with arrows thrown at you by trolls and critics deftly.
- As long as I am winning, people shouldn’t care whether my skirt is six inches long or 6 feet long.
- When I wanted to play Wimbledon, they laughed and said ‘What are you talking about, you’re from Hyderabad and you are supposed to…cook!’
- My biggest strength is that no one can read my forehand
- As tennis players, you are never satisfied. We are greedy as players, always want better results.
- Negativity sells. I have been labeled a rebel. If I had been one, would I have got married at 23? Would I have been a straight A student?
- One of the thrills of playing at the top venues of the world is to see the Indian flag go up whenever I’m participating. That’s enough motivation for any Indian to perform there.
- I don’t play to prove a point to anyone. I play for my country and myself. If I feel I’ve the ability to achieve something, I’ll keep trying until I succeed.
- I enjoy taking risks. You always have to take risks.
- The media used to say, ‘Wear this wear that why a T-shirt?’ Everybody has a right to form their opinions and I have a right to ignore them.